Canine Scholars Training & Behavioral Center Inc.
The Leave it Command
- 1. Start by putting a treat in one of your hands.
- 2. Show your dog the treat in your hand don’t let him get it.
- 3. In front of your dog, close your hand that has the treat and make a fist.
- 4. Present your fist to your dog to sniff.
- 5. If your dog sniffs and nudges your hand ignore him.
- 6. When he stops sniffing and moves his head away from your hand say yes and open your hand so he can eat his reward.
- 7. Repeat this 5 times
- 8. Once your dog is reliably doing step 6 you are now ready to add the leave it cue before he moves away.
- 9. Repeat this 5 times.
- 10. If your dog is doing this 5 out 5 you can move to the next step.
- 11. Put a treat on the floor.
- 12. Make sure your dog knows it is there.
- 13. Stand close to the treat, with your foot ready to cover if your dog decides to retrieve the treat.
- 14. If your dog moves towards the treat, cover it with your foot.
- 15. If your dog moves away from the treat reward him with a treat from your hand.
- 16. Do not let your dog have the treat from the floor.
- 17. Repeat this 5 times.
- 18. Once he has completed this 5 out 5.
- 19. You are now ready to add the leave it cue.
- 20. Work in different environments with different items, ball, toys, sticks.
- 21. To make it more fun put more treats on the floor, walk your dog around them telling him to leave it. You can have your dog in sit/stays, down/stays with his treats in front of him and tell him to leave it. Remember reward from your hand.